Is it fun to watch Tiger struggle?

I have to admit that I’ve enjoyed watching Tiger struggle to get on top of the leaderboard here in the past months.  Aside from the great putt to win at Bay Hill, Tiger has put himself in the hunt in every tournament since, including the Masters, but just hasn’t found the gusto to make that push on Sunday.  A year ago this time, if TW was within 5 strokes of the lead going into the final round of a tournament, we’d all say it was a lock, but I’m really liking the fact that we’re not quite sure if Tiger will have what it takes to win from week to week.

With this said, I don’t think this is going to last very long.  Has he lost his competitive edge…no way.  Just look at the guys eyes when he’s in a pressure situation.  He still knows how to win.  Those 8 months of down time will take a while to fully get himself back into his old form.  It’s too much for us to expect him to be 110% physically and mentally only a couple months into the season.

In the meantime, I’m going to continue to enjoy watching Tiger try to figure out how to win.  It puts a little perspective on things, finally making most of us realize that Tiger Woods is indeed human too.

7 Responses to “Is it fun to watch Tiger struggle?”

1. Ray Kelley says:

Let me start by saying that I think Tiger Woods in unquestionably in the top few most talented golfers af all time.
    Having said that, I watch every shot hoping for a shank, a pull-hook, a lip-out, or any other form of misfortune.
    This started back with the Fuzzy Zeller incident and has only gotten worse with time.
    Things are looking up so far this season.
    I’m thankful for the reduced TV coverage and hoping for even more (or would that be less) in the future.

2. I can’t say that I enjoy watching anyone struggle, however it is nice once in a while to see that he (to quote you) is indeed human. The only thing that I never really cared for is seeing Tiger and Steve go all weird when they celebrate a nice shot together. It just looks unnatural to me. Only then do I find myself wanting to see a shot go into the lake.

3. Kevin K says:

Well, bad golf is really boring to watch. And of course I watch golf solely for my own entertainment. I like watching the best players in the world play the best golf in the world. That includes Tiger Woods and everyone else, playing well.

4. HardDraw says:

Ray Kelley said:

Wow!because good ole Fuzzy made a rediculous comment & got put down for it by everyone inclusive of other cultures,You blame Woods ?

5. Ray Kelley says:

Fuzzy made a feeble attempt at humor. The “humor” didn’t amuse some, perhaps most, people.
    Golfers do that a lot. Lot’s of golfers do that a lot.

Short putt – “Nice putt, Alice” or “Did you get that caught in your garter belt?” are not (I don’t think) slurs against the Gay/Lesbian/Transgender Aliance. It’s just giving the needle.

Do you really play with people who have sticks up their collective butts so far that they (and you) don’t do the same thing?
    If so, I think maybe you miss a lot of the enjoyment possible with the game of golf.

Wood’s had the opportunity to diffuse the whole thing by telling the press and his daddy to shut the hell up and get a life.
    He, unfortunately, either had his own axe to grind or lacked the appropriate anatomical appendages in the nether region to do that.

The result was that one of the truly fine people in the game sustained significant personal and financial loss.

He had, and has, the attitude of a petulent child.
    I’m still waiting for a flesh-eating virus to attack.

I enjoyed the open.

6. HardDraw says:

Ray Kelley said:

Hey Kelley that’s right Woods should of slapped his Daddy upside the head cuz of Fuzzy’s feeble attempt at a joke.That would have shown ’em how noble he is.
    Character ain’t something you can buy folks.