Finding the motivation to play

It’s rare that anyone would ever hear me say the following words but,   I have absolutely no motivation to play golf.   I’m just not into it whatsoever lately.   The weather has been beautiful, the days long and work has been slow.  The perfect conditions, that any other time, would have me drooling to get on the course, but I just don’t feel it.   I have no tournaments on the horizon to get me fired up about practicing.  My golfing buddies have had too many other distractions to get on the course lately.  And on top of all of it, I think I’m not happy with my Nike irons I’ve been using for the past couple years.

Now I normally play or practice at least 3 times a week.  I look forward to it as I not only enjoy honing my skills, but it’s therapy for me.  I know I’ll get the fire again, but I feel like my game is slowly going in the toilet every day that I don’t hit the course.  Maybe I need to buy something golf related to get the juices flowing?  What do you do when you lose the drive to play?

8 Responses to “Finding the motivation to play”

1. John Barry says:

I usually have to work, so getting fired up to not be working, or not having the kids fight, or the wife find things for me to do, that’s all the motivation I need in the world!

2. Chrissy says:

So I haven’t been golfing too much lately as we’ve had either some really hot weather where you sweat from head to toe, or you’re covered in rain from head to toe… so I bought a book called, Shooting an Albatross by Steven Lundin instead.
    It’s an interesting read that I read cover to cover in a day and a half. Maybe to most that’s not impressive but I like to think so!
    If you as well are taking some time off the green, pull up your comfy chair and stick your nose in a book, this one was a winner!

3. Christian says:

Sounds like you’re in Arizona Chrissy. It’s impossible to play in that kind of heat. Unless you’re on the course by 6:00am..it’s not even worth it.

4. John Barry says:

I do a clothing show twice a year in Vegas, we go in mid August. My CEO wants to play golf, I told him he’s nuts, it’s 120 out there. No way I am going to play there in the Summer.

5. Scott says:

Christian,
    It’s sad to hear about your non motivation. But, I really think it’s pretty common. A lot of people lose their motivation for their sport or whatever their outlet may be. I went through the same issue about 10 months ago. I finally figured out that it was due to poor playing over the previous year. I just had no drive to play. Plus, I had so many other little projects going on, that I couldn’t find time to practice. Hell, I couldn’t even get up for a Thursday round with the boys and beers. So, I took a month off, didn’t hit balls, no chipping and putting, and very little watching golf on TV. After about 6 weeks, I decided to play 9 holes one afternoon. I went par, par, birdie, birdie, par, bogey, bogey, par, bogey. Felt really good and all of a sudden I was ready to start playing again. I think the time off gave my muscles time to forget all the bad stuff.
    Just give it some time my friend, the motivation will come back sooner than you think.

Scott

6. Christian says:

Yeah I totally agree Scott. Sometimes a break is all it takes to get the motivational juices flowing again. I’m starting to feel the urge I think. Hoping to try and get some practice in this week.

7. Steve says:

First off I am 65 and started playing at 12 and my only time away from the game was my three year stint in the army. I just do league play and nine holes three mornings a week walking. Really not happy with the direction the game is going. At what point did it go from a walking game to a riding game. The putter should be the shortest club in the bag not the longest. Watching the LPGA on TV can’t help but notice how many players use there caddy to set them up before a shot or putting stroke. I play in a lot of charity tournaments and it amazes me how few players know the rules and the snail like pace they play. It should not take six hours or more to play 18 holes. Her is a tip: When my game goes sour I pull out my Hogan irons that i played in the early seventies and practice with them at the range. This will get your tempo and timing back better than any quick band ade lesson from a pro.

8. You should always be motivated to play golf, I mean we play because we enjoy it, but we only enjoy it if we play well, therefore we strive to improve so that we increase our enjoyment. If you are a 20 handicapper I’m sure you would prefer to play off 12, if your a 12 handicapper you would prefer to play off 8. If your Tiger wods you would prefer to win every tournament you play in. So everytime you go onto the course you want to shoot a better score.

If you are struggling with motivation then give yourself a target, like lower handicap by 5 shots. This will then give you motivation to play all the time..