$22,000 for Michelle Wie? Is it worth the price?

Michelle Wie wen’t for a whopping $22,000 on Tuesday night at the LPGA Tour Championship pro-am pairing party.  Michael Maggi, 43, an energy trader from Houston successfully bid $22,000 for the opportunity to play in the Wednesday pro-am with the recent LPGA winner.  Maggi said he figured it would take about $10,000 to secure the winning bid, and he wasn’t planning on paying double that.  Wie commented that she figured about fifty bucks would be the winning bid was there to watch the frenzied bidding. She said she couldn’t quite fathom someone paying that much to play golf with her.

“I felt better than my wife did about it,” said Maggi, whose wife stood anxiously beside him during the heated auction. “She wasn’t quite as enthusiastic.”

I could see paying that much to play with Tiger, being the greatest golfer in history, but 22 large to play with Michelle Wie. Talk about having more money than you know what to do with. What do you think?  Was this guy nuts, or just in love with Wie?

7 Responses to “$22,000 for Michelle Wie? Is it worth the price?”

1. Brian Allman says:

Here’s what I find amazing about this story, has anyone checked what the cost is for men to play at the AT&T with Kevin Costner, Bill Murray or Kelly Slater, etc? While it’s only a Pro Am for a day, she’s a world class athlete who just won her first title and is guaranteed to KICK HIS ASS! Here’s the real question, would anyone ask about this if he paid that same amount for a day with Phil, VJ or Camillo?

• Christian says:

Brian, I got to thinking the same thing after posting this. I was also pondering the fact that he paid 22k to get out driven, out played and out scored by a 20 year old girl. When she’s bombing 290 yard drives past him, he’s going to feel like a goof. Now if it was Phil or Tiger, the ego wouldn’t take such a beating because it’s a guy. Better him than me I guess.

2. Brian Allman says:

while I agree with your retort that it’s basically better to be beaten by a guy then a gal, she a professional athlete and well worth the same amount of money dollar for dollar as the guys. And by the way, she’s damn cute and I’ll bet much more interesting to spend time with then say Vj and if not more interesting… alot easier on the eyes!!!!!! and as Forest Gump says, “that’s all I have to say about that!”

3. Sonny says:

All the talk about being beaten by a girl is just the “male” ego talking. I would pay that much money to see and “learn” about a golf professional’s swing first-hand. That Michelle is easy on the eyes and has a great personality to boot makes it a whole lot easier on the checkbook.

4. GolfinLove says:

With all of the turmoil in the LPGA and sponsors dumping tournaments right and left, I think it is awesome that someone wants to step up to support a women pro like this.

What fun they will have!

Cheers!
    Catherine

5. Cameron says:

Thats nothing I have hear people spending 200,000 just to play with Tiger in a pro am.

6. Tom Woods says:

It is a shame, that an energy trader, whose job involves a pencil and paper to scrape the cream form the top and increase our cost of energy, is the kind of person that we rely on to support our love of the game. But considering the companies golf sells out to, he is probably on the bottom of the usery list.