Will Ray Romano Break 80 on the Haney Project?

ray romano golf swingAfter checking out the first installment of the new season of the Golf Channel’s "Haney Project", I’m pretty convinced that Ray Romano has a solid enough game to be able to break 80 one day, with the help of Hank.  First off, it’s obvious that it’s a serious goal of Ray’s to do this.  You can tell he loves the game and practices, so that’s half the battle in my book.

Fundamentally, he isn’t horrible.  You saw Hank point out that he’s coming over the top because he takes it too far inside to start with, but that’s something that can should be fixed fairly easily.  The telling part of the show was when they were practicing pitch shots around the green.  Ray is going to need to sharpen this part of his game the most if he wants to get into single digits.  Even good players in single digits don’t hit every green.  In fact, most probably only hit 60-70%%.  What makes the difference is that they can get up and down to save par from most places around the green.  Double digit golfers will almost always make bogey if they don’t hit the green in regulation.  Being able to have a variety of shots from around the green will be the key for Ray to go below the 80 mark.  Mark my words.  Once the "over the top" issues is corrected, you’ll see Hank and Ray working on a TON of short game drills.

The other thing he’ll need to do is eliminate any and all penalty strokes.  Golfers who shoot in the 90’s on a regular basis are usually giving away at least 3-4 strokes per round in penalties if not more.  Get rid of the O.B.’s and the shots into the hazard, and I guarantee he will be down into the mid 80’s almost instantly.  From there it’s just not giving away those stupid strokes on and around the green.  Flubbed chips and 3 putts are the easiest way to not break 80.

What do you think?  Will Ray Break 80 after working with Hank?

12 Responses to “Will Ray Romano Break 80 on the Haney Project?”

1. Bill says:

Ray Ramano is a nice guy but this new show is nowhere as good as the first one with Barkley!!!

• Christian says:

I wonder if we’re going to see any actual teaching or lessons on this series? So far we’ve seen them at Ray’s comedy show and filming Ray’s T.V. show, but not much range time. I agree, that so far the Barkley shows were much better.

2. I like Ray however I agree that Barkley shows will be much better. Hank had a bigger challege with Barkley.

3. Jerry Patt says:

Never—he has not listened to a thing Hank told him..I also think Hank is too focused on plane and not the body motion – same as with Barkely who did not improve and probably too used to working with real talent..Jimmy Ballard could fix both those guys in 2 shows

4. Chase Evans says:

I think with some hard work Ray can pull it off. Either way I think its going to be a good show. How can you go wrong with pairing up comedy and golf?

5. Christian says:

One show left in the series..and unless they employ some fancy editing, I don’t think Ray has a chance of breaking 90, let alone 80.

No single digit handicap golfer tops the ball off the tee into the water, blows putts 30 feet by the hole and can’t get the ball on the green in near regulation. Ray still has a long way to go and his swing isn’t sound enough yet to be shooting in the mid to low 80’s.

6. Cheymike says:

I was really surprised. Ray has got to be the most negative thinker in history. He talked himself right out of being successful. 🙁

• Christian says:

I agree. There’s no way he’s going to be a good player with that attitude. Ray, I know you’re reading all of the blogs and tweets about your show, you said it yourself, so if you learned only one thing from your time with Hank, it should be to lose the negative attitude, at least on the golf course. You’ll save 5 strokes around just by acting like you’re a good golfer. Oh, that and keep that bag in order will ya..geez it looked like a homeless persons golf bag.

7. Will says:

I have to agree with Christian about the attitude shown on the golf course. As in anything, our attitude determines our outcome, majority of the time. Along with consistent practice, skills, and a little raw talent, attitude goes a long way.

8. Amusitronix says:

Ray Romano is one of the best celebrity golfers out there. I saw him play in long island a few years ago. He will give Bill Murray a run for his money!

9. bob says:

Mr. Romano,

I went from a 15 handicap toan 8—I am “on the other side”–I can get you there and you will love golf more than ever and never be dependent on anyone except yourself—its a great feeling and you will break 80—please get in touch with me i will help YOU get there.

best,

bob

p.s.–its not about your swing!!!!!