Golf Magazines Will Ruin Your Game

Ok, that’s probably not exactly true, but the golf industry magazines most of us subscribe to, might not be doing your game as much good as you think.  Consider it for a moment, they have to put out a new magazine each month.  50%+ of the magazine is filled with "fix your slice", "hit drives longer", "make every putt" type articles.  Is having a new set of quick fix methods every 30 days really the best thing for your game?  Are all of these tips just thrown together so they can fill pages?  Makes you wonder how sound the information really is. And just because some top 1000 teacher is the guy on the page giving the lesson, does that mean we’re automatically supposed to trust his teaching abilities?

How about learning some solid swing fundamentals and building from that.  If you’ve learned the proper grip, stance, balance, etc., then you can fix most of your own problems quicker and more efficiently than the half page magazine article can ever hope to.  I’m not saying that they don’t give the occasional good tip that many of us can on occasion, such as techniques for difficult bunker shots or uneven fairway lies, but I guarantee if you take every "add 15 yards to your drives" article to the course, you will be so discombobulated you won’t know which way is up.

All I’m saying is to take these "quick fix" articles with a grain of salt.  If you can pick up something that you can work into your game, great, but be cautions with trying every exciting new tip that comes out.  It won’t help your swing in the long run.  Personally, I’ll stick with the interviews and Feherty’s column on the back page.  And I’m pretty sure my scores are better off for it.

Author:

19 Replies to “Golf Magazines Will Ruin Your Game”
  • Cheymike
    June 9, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Can I get an AAAAAAAMEN??!!! What amazes me is the number of times that those “quick fix” articles are complete opposites. One will tell you to do A to fix a slice. The next one, 3-4 months later, tells you if you do A, you’ll slice. Do B instead. One says more weight on leading foot, one says more on rear foot. One says swing flatter. One says swing more upright. Amazing aint it? 🙂

• Dean S
    June 18, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I agree with you. It takes so long to make a true adjustment to the golf swing, and if you attempt to do so on a monthly basis with the latest fad wreaks havoc for an golf player.

• Terry Crick
    June 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm

As a PGA teaching professional, all I can say is that golf magazines are good for my business! The advice, even when given by a good pro, usually messes up people’s swings so badly, it takes a lesson series to fix it! Once I read an article in a major golf publication about Paul Azinger telling golfers that he plays his 50 yard wedge shot forward in his stance. I have played hundreds of rounds with Paul and his teacher was my teacher, John Redman. I can promise you that wasn’t true! Fads don’t work – just old fashioned practice. Consistancy and practice of a good swing and basic tried and true fundamentals is what a golfer really needs. Lee Trevino once said, “The more I practice, the luckier I get!” I don’t know if it will help, but I have that tried and true advice (and I’m not selling a thing!) on my website MyPGAGolfCoach.com.

• Dapperdan
    June 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm

The way I look at it is,if I read golf digest I will loose 3 strokes. If I buy a Taylor made driver another 3 strokes. Get a sky caddy 4strokes and a new ping putter 3strokes. Thats 13 strokes off my score and I haven’t even got to the course yet. Seems like golf is quite simple!!If I buy all the newest gadgets I’ll be shooting par golf in no time. How about getting an hour golf lesson and go from there, it will be cheaper than buying all this junk.

• 2ndSwingGolf
    June 29, 2010 at 1:17 pm

The best way to get better is by practicing your weaknesses and getting out on the course. Too many golfers think just by reading the golf mags they’ll improve. Although they are fun to look at to be honest.

• Brandon Hall
    July 8, 2010 at 10:32 am

Hey!! Did you guys know about the Tour GCX Open Sweepstakes where the GRAND PRIZE winner wins 5 tee units on any of the over 300 courses in the TOUR network? Enter here – http://ht.ly/286OP

• Amusitronix
    July 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

Its hard to believe that people are even still interested in a magazine that is almost half ads…

• GolfBlogger
    July 19, 2010 at 9:43 am

Can’t agree more. I stopped paying attention to those a long time ago. The thing I find most funny is that every tip is supposed to get you ten more yards. If I absorbed all those tips, I would be hitting the ball a thousand yards by now.

• Burgh Golfer
    July 22, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I totally agree, I worked in a pro shop in the early 80’s and the golf pro at that time said the same thing. One pro in one issue will say one thing and a few months later you get a different opinion. Sort of like the analysts on the stock market. We are all much better off finding a good instructor and sticking to learning our own swing mechanics.

• Steve
    July 22, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Other than the network of PGA teaching professionals, there really isn’t an authority on golf instruction. Perhaps there should be.

The Golf Professors: Professional Online Golf Instruction

• Patrick
    July 29, 2010 at 1:52 am

There is no harm in reading magazines for taking suggestion. Most important is what you are following.

• Old Tom of The Golfing Gods
    August 7, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Well said !

The magazines are best for the interviews with the pros and that’s about it.

The last thing we need are more tips flying through our mind as we try to hit the darn ball.

Definitely bookmarking this one.

• mike greene
    August 15, 2010 at 2:04 am

Awesome blog! Very informative. If you like Golf Video Games, you should check out World Golf Tour. It is a Free online simulator game in HD that requires NO download. They have a massive online community. Voted Better then Tiger Woods and Golden Tee and you play on real courses. Check it out for free…http://www.squidoo.com/freegolfgame

• Barry Conway
    August 19, 2010 at 8:27 am

Keep reading the Magazines, the more tips you can get the better.

You need to keep at it though. Practice makes perfect!

• golf trolley
    November 10, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I am totally on your side. They maybe professional, but really not that practical. Practices make perfect.

• Philip Romano
    November 18, 2010 at 9:20 am

Nowadays I check the magazines for new equipments ads only. The coaches have been repeating the same tips for decades….

• Golfing Gloves
    December 21, 2010 at 7:28 am

Yeah, you gotta love these guys, each and every person is unique and their solutions are too. Listening to someone elses advice may harm your game. Beware!

• Mleopold
    December 24, 2010 at 10:05 pm

The problem with advice is that there are too many advisers. Everyone has an opinion and how do you figure out which opinion is the best? If I subscribed to a golf magazine, I would change my game about 12 times a year.

• Michael
    March 5, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I totally agree that quick fixes don’t work in golf. I have been golfing for over ten years and have found that simplicity is the key. If you have crowded thoughts of quick fixes, you are really going to mess up your swing. Over 70% of golf is all mental. I would suggest taking the money you spend on golf magazines and spending it on playing more golf. I just look up websites like http://www.golfcompete.com for golf course discounts so that I can play more often. By practicing and focusing on major fixes, I have been able to improve my game ten-fold.

Comments are closed.