What if Your Golf Game Could Never Improve?

This topic came up on one of the more popular golf forums a few days ago and it’ stirred up quite a discussion.  The premise is that what if you one day realized that there was no way for your golf game to improve and you were going to be stuck at your current level of play for the rest of your life.   Would you still continue to play golf, even knowing that no matter how much time or hard work you put in,  you would never shoot a lower score than your current handicap?  I think for many of us that would be a difficult pill to swallow.

How about this twist…What if, even though you couldn’t improve, you could still get worse?  So basically, you would still need to practice enough to keep your game at the level it is currently, but if you slack off on your game, you could actually get worse.  Now I think that would be enough to make me quit the game.

Ok, so since we’re throwing around all these ridiculous hypothetical scenarios,  what if tomorrow you were  instantly  15% worse at golf than you are today?   So if you were an 8 handicap, normally shooting around 80, you immediately became 15% lousier and were now shooting 92’s,  with no opportunity to ever improve again.   Would that be enough to make you stop playing golf forever?  Or does golf mean more to you than just score alone?

For me, playing well and scoring is about 75% of the game.  The other 25% is enjoying the outdoors/course, having fun with friends, competition etc.  I’d like to think that the 25% could keep me playing the game, even if I were to suddenly suck, and had no chance to ever get better.    Kinda makes you think about why we all play this game and what makes it special and important is different from one golfer to the next.

What do you think?  Would you keep playing under any of these scenarios?  What motivates you to play?


10 Replies to “What if Your Golf Game Could Never Improve?”
  • Jason Dransfield
    June 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm

    If my scores went up by 15% with no chance of ever improving, I am pretty sure I would pack the game in. The rush of making plenty of birdies is what brings me back.

  • nikquan
    June 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

    Here is you solution!——> http://e7fdelpf56pmlz33ypvhmgz585.hop.clickbank.net/

  • Sam
    June 6, 2011 at 3:08 pm

    A hopeless situation as far as golf skill is concerned is something that I cannot accept. I feel like that knowing the game can never be perfected is what keeps golfers coming back for more. One of the joys
    I have gotten out of the game is studying it. That is fun for me
    because it helps to achieve my goal to play at a higher level. As
    a general rule golfers tend to play more the better they are at it and
    play less when they are not.

    But since we are talking about a hypothetical situation here I would
    have to say I would not quit even if it were hopeless. What motivates me is always working on improving my skill level as a golfer.

    • Bob Burk, PGA
      June 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm

      I like your grit and determination. Alot of times when I teach, students go through a rough patch. Changing something you’ve done for a while feels uncomfortable but committment to the change regardless of the initial discomfort will produce results. Hang in there. Two things don’t lie…video and ball flight.


      Bob Burk, PGA
      Stone Creek Golf Club

  • Discover Golf
    June 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

    Sometimes I do feel like i’m getting worse but at least I know that not true it will get better eventually. I think what motivates me is writing my blog it let’s me keep up on everything in the golf world and keeps me in touch with my game as well. Do you think your blog helps too?

  • Srixon
    June 9, 2011 at 5:32 am

    my handicap has been in the range of 12 to 13 for more than 30 yrs

  • scott
    June 9, 2011 at 10:19 pm

    ha like golf isn’t challenging enough without not being able to improve as well!

  • john
    June 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm

    my handicap just be 5 for more than 30 yrs

  • Jack Radar
    June 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm

    I see plenty of 80 and 90 year old golfers whose golf skills are slowly deteriorating but they keep at it. I think the physical exercise, being outdoors, the camaraderie and, of course, the 19th hole would keep me coming back.

    Golf Buddy World Platinum GPS

  • Accommodation in durban
    June 18, 2011 at 3:23 am

    I always struggle with my puts and reading the greens, hence my score never improves… Its no problem getting onto the greens… it’s getting off it, that is the problem

Comments are closed.